Today I Learned
— 2 min read
A Markov model is a stochastic model used to model randomly changing systems where it is assumed that future states depend only on the current state not on the events that occurred before it (that is, it assumes the Markov property). Generally, this assumption enables reasoning and computation with the model that would otherwise be intractable.
How to split a CSV file using
split is a Unix command used to split a file into pieces. It can be used like this:
split -l 100000 large.csv segment
The command above splits a file with a limit of 100k lines each. If the file is 300k then it will create 3 files.
You can also use a maximum number of bytes by using the
split -b 40k large.csv segment
- How Support Vector Machines work:
Clean Git Repository with Tracked and Untracked file
git checkout mastergit clean -dxfgit reset --hard
Build to Learn by Jeff Patton
- Building to learn means doing things as cheap experiments. Once you’ve learned that users actually want the feature, you can then spend full engineering rigor toward building to earn. You will likely end up throwing away your “learn” code.
- Building software is one of the most expensive ways to learn.
- Shipping small things is always easier.
- Code is a liability. Knowledge is an asset.
- Directed Discovery is a form of “building to learn”. We don’t have to build software to learn. We can use prototypes or wireframes.
- Basics of Natural Language Processing.
- Sourcegraph: Code search and intelligence